Meet Matt Sonnenberg, Information Systems Librarian

Name: Matt Sonnenberg

Hometown: Nekoosa, WI

Education: BS History & Broadfield Social Science, UWSP,  2009. MLIS, UW-Milwaukee, 2013.

Position: Information Systems Librarian

What is your previous library experience? My first job in the library field was as a part-time library director for a small public library in Vesper, Wisconsin in 2009. While I was not specifically looking for a job in libraries then, the position was open, and it beat working overnight security shifts. Shortly into the job, I discovered I liked library work and wanted to pursue a career in libraries. In 2010, I was hired at the Portage County Public Library which diversified my experience by working in a larger library setting. Soon after, I decided to enroll at UW-Milwaukee and began my MLIS degree. In 2014, I was hired here at UWSP libraries as the Instructional Materials Center (IMC) Assistant. In that role, I gained more experience working with various system-related aspects of library operations and my position was renamed Library Systems Assistant. In June 2023, I was hired as the Information Systems Librarian, a faculty position.

What are you most excited about in your new position? What does it involve? The Systems Librarian role could be described as Library IT, but it encompasses much more. What I find most appealing about this position is the variety. On any given day, I might troubleshoot system issues, assist students and staff at the reference desk, conduct library instruction sessions for various classes, work on scholarly writing, or handle unforeseen tasks that arise. Balancing these responsibilities can be challenging, but so far, it has proven to be an enjoyable and rewarding experience.

Are there any fun challenges you’ve encountered in your new position? Being the go-to person when something isn’t working is a new and fun challenge for me. In my previous roles, I dealt with similar tasks, but I had someone more experienced to turn to for guidance if needed. Now I need to develop those skills myself. Fortunately, I have an incredible network of support from other UW System libraries, and I lean on them to learn more about our systems and why/how they work. I also rely on the extensive knowledge and experience of my UWSP library colleagues to troubleshoot problems as they arise.

What's your go-to comfort drink on a rainy day? I’m mostly a water guy, but maybe a hot chocolate of some sort. If I’m not at work, then definitely a beer. Most likely something darker/more robust to pair well with gloomy conditions.

If you could bring back any fashion trend, what would it be? I don’t think there is any trend in particular I’d go with, but overall I’m all for ditching more of the formal/uncomfortable clothes that people wear because it’s expected. I’d be happy working in sweatpants and a hoody most days, shorts and a t-shirt in the summer. Life’s too short to spend time/money on uncomfortable stuff!

If you were in the Olympics, what sport would you compete in? Hammer Throw, 100%. I would still get stomped, but at least with my 18 years of throwing/coaching it, I would at least look somewhat competent.

What was the best class you took in college and why? For me it’s a tie between three classes: Ancient & Medieval Western Political Theory (Political Science), East Asia from 1600 to Present (History), and The New Deal (History). The classes were all at UWSP and taught by David Williams, Hugh Walker, and Paul Mertz respectively. All three had an excellent command of their topics and a fantastic ability to make what can be rather dry material quite compelling.

Any advice for people interested in working at a library? The best advice is if you are interested in a library position, gain some hands-on library experience. Volunteering for tasks like basic collection maintenance will strengthen your skills and help you stand out. Entry-level library positions are highly sought after, so being persistent and willing to try and try again is a must.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EXAM CRAM!

Plan on taking the MCAT or GRE?

Fast Access to Scholarly Articles on Popular Websites